Saturday, September 6, 2008

Okay, I'm officially into blogging and I will do my best not to neglect for so long again! I'm going to jump right into life now because there's just no way I can go back and recount all I've done so far, not to mention there are few who would want to read it...

All that to say, I'm here, I'm feeling pretty settled, and WOW God is so good! I am living in a very cute house about 5 minutes from school (depending on traffic, which tends to be a nightmare, the only rule is that there are no rules!) My students are delightful, a bit of a handful, but very fun. There are 14 all together, about a third MKs, a third Guatemalan, and a third Korean (a dynamic I had not anticipated).

I was able to do my first bit of sightseeing today. I went to Antigua, a town about 1/2 an hour from here. It was very sweet, complete with cobblestone paths and ancient ruins. Another big selling point is that it is at the base of a volcano (active no less). Talk about reinactment of Mount Vesuvius if that thing ever decides to go. There's another volcano close to school that is usually putting off a good amount of steam, but everyone says that's a good sign. It means it's not accumualting and getting ready to blow.

As for life here, it's much different than I anticipated, not that I had a lot of anticipations, but nonetheless. It's an amazing mix of rich and poor, Americanized and distinctly Guatemalan, even green and city. But, I am enjoying discovering the quirks and learning how to navigate my way.

Well, I shall work on posting regularly and keeping you all up to date. I am also working on the whole picture thing, but they are to come. Thanks so much for your prayers and support, they get me through, day by day!

No comments: